Crates Night Shift HD Makes Working Overnight Fun. Win A Copy With A Comment Or Tweet!
- By: Blitpop
- Genre: puzzle game, casual game, addictive game, family game
- Platform: iPad Only
- Price: $.99
- SAHGeekMom Rating: 4.5 Stars
- Recommended Age: 7+
Crates Night Shift HD is that elusive breed of puzzler that is simple to play, yet endlessly challenging and inventive. It has elements of Gamehouse’s classic Collapse, but its execution is fresh.
The game’s premise is that you work at a loading dock on the night shift. Your job is to sort crates and load them onto the ship poised to deliver them across the world.
But, all that’s is really that’s just thematic. You aren’t actually sorting anything; more like you are exploding crates. And the only time the boat comes into play is by tooting and floating by to indicate you have cleared one of the over 140 levels.
The game board is comprised of multi-colored boxes. You need to have at least two of the same colored crates touching each other horizontally or vertically to remove it from the field.
When you do, the remaining pieces fall down and gaps are automatically closed. The basic gameplay mimics Collapse and similar puzzlers, so odds are you already know how to play.
But, even if you never heard of Collapse, you’ll figure it out in seconds and be lost in play soon after.
You are not just removing blocks from a grid. There are power-up crates, obstacle crates, and an amazing assortment of challenges as the game progresses. Crates Night Shift HD presents the same basic challenge on every level, but the solutions are anything but redundant.
Gameplay is mellow; you aren’t racing a clock, you earn high scores by solving the puzzle with as few moves as possible, by creating combos and using the special crates to your advantage.
Check out the trailer:
While the pace doesn’t pick up, the intensity does. Each board requires thought and, if a perfect three-star rating is to be achieved, strategic thinking is your biggest asset.
There is a known crashing issue for those running iOS 3.2, but grab the code now, because ver 1.1 is already pending approval and resolves the problem.
Crates Night Shift HD sports high-resolution graphics, Game Center integration, and while it’s a newcomer to the App Store, it’ss very polished. I looked for problems, but found none. Even the sound effects are satisfying.
This game responds well, looks good and is certain to hook puzzle addicts, especially those sick of matching games or bird-themes. Its simplicity and originality make it shine.
Want to win a copy and get addicted yourself?
All you have to to is tweet this review (and include @sahgeekmom so I can find it) or leave a relevant comment. Funniest comment will win one code, the other will be random for Tweeters.
You can enter once by each method, and check out my contest page to see how you can ern extra entries as well.
Contest Closes Saturday May 8, 6:00pm PDT Good Luck!
Here are the screenshots for you:
I’ll be back soon with more reviews and giveaways, but in the meantime here of some of my more recent reviews and most popular lists to keep you busy.
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Apps for News Junkies Part One – iPhone (Most Free!)
- Burn it All is Smoking Hot!
- Hack-N-Slash Meets Tower Defence In Chillingo’s Vampire Rush And Vampire Rush HD
- BookYap: Good Book Suggestions, But Where’s The Yap?
- Enjoy Kaleidoscopic “I-Spy” With Chillingo’s Play Kalei And Play Kalei HD
- Get AutoTalent With AutoPainter, AutoPainter HD and AutoPainter Express – Giveaway Coming Soon!
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Earth Day Weekend Edition: Green Apps for All Devices
- You Mean You Don’t Know Jack HD?
- If It Walks Like A Lemming and Talks Like a Lemming It Must Be Caveman HD
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzlers For Teens and Everyone Else Part 1
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzler’s For Teens and Everyone Else Part
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad and iPhone games for kids 5-12 part one (3/19)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best ipad and iPhone Games for kids 5-12 part two (3/20)
- Easter Magic Without The Broken Eggs
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part one (2/5)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part two (2/6)