Burn It All – Journey to the Sun Is Smoking Hot!
Win a Copy With A Tweet or Comment. An Exclusive Stay at Home GeekMom giveaway! – CONTEST CLOSED
- By: BulkyPix / Pastagames
- Genre: Puzzle game, casual game, addictive game, family game
- Platform: Universal
- Price: $.99
- SAHGeekMom Rating: 5 Stars!!
- Pump gives it 4.75 Pump’s Up
- Recommended Age: 6+ but not a kid’s game
Burn it All – Journey to the Sun is only a day old in its iOS incarnation, and it’s already a hit.
That’s saying a lot because yesterday was a banner day for new games with several highly anticipated titles launching and contending for top spot and press.
Gears is great, I will be covering it tomorrow. I just gave Vampire Rush a glowing review, and Snuggle Truck (formerly Smuggle Truck) has backstory buzz galore. But Burn it All stands out for good reason. This game is smokin’! Just read the user reviews in the App Store.
And while both games are puzzlers that involve burning ropes and both are safe bets for kids, that’s where the similarities end. And frankly, Burn it All is by far the better game in every way.
What Burn it All gives you is 100 levels of finger-guided, pyro-powered fun. So much so, you hardly realize you’re thinking a lot too. And if you play for just ten minutes, you will find there is a lot more to burn here than just ropes.
Soon the challenges pile on. Your little firebug has to battle vampire bats, dripping icicles and gas leaks. And that’s just in the first 25 “easy” boards.
Further along you meet a blue flame that can ignite from any spot on an object and a green fireball that can singe its way through several objects. And you face all kinds of new elements in need of roasting.
As a final burn, Pastagames has a twist: “time looping”. Did I mention the game is universal and only $.99?
Burn it All requires dexterity and a fast touch, but it also requires thought. Different colored ropes burn at different speeds. Cord length and obstacle-dodging factor in too.
I thought it might be over Pump’s head (he’s my seven-year-old son and co-reviewer, see about me.) But, as usual, he was faster and better than I was in no time.
He wants you to know that: “This game is really really fun. You think you are just burning ropes and bats and stuff and then you have to think about it a lot too to get faster scores. I think it is good for kids and moms too.”
Well, this mom anyway and at least one GeekDad who is a pretty serious gamer too.
Check out the trailer, read the rest of this then go grab it before they realize they could easily charge five times as much and still be offering a great deal:
The learning curve is fantastic. Challenges are revealed gradually, with clear pictorial explanation. But, since you can earn up to three gems for fast completion times, there is a ton of replay value too.
The only flaw I found was a slightly sticky control mechanism. It’s designed to stay out of your field of vision, but it’s also a bit counterintuitive.
By instinct I want to drag the fire right to the rope, but because touching anywhere works too, I found myself losing fireballs to old habits. It’s a small matter, well worth the adaptation.
Burn it All – Journey to the Sun may be the most innovative puzzler of 2011. It’s a gamers delight and poised to be a permanent fixture on App Store charts and your iDevice.
Want to win a free copy? This is NOT an appadvice.com contest, it is EXCLUSIVE to Stay at Home GeekMom readers.
All you have to to is tweet this review (and include @sahgeekmom so I can find it) or leave a relevant comment. Funny is good, but this one will be by random draw since the game is so hot!
You can enter once by each method, and check out my contest page to see how you can ern extra entries as well.
Contest Closes Monday, May 3 2011, 6:00pm EST.
Here is a slideshow of all the screenshots I took and the promo pics.
Check back often for the hotest game reviews and a new Stay and Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Apps for News Junkies.
Developers! Want a review or to run a promotion os SAHGeekMom or appadvice.com? Check out my page just for you!
Until next time here are some popular recent reviews for you to chceck out:
- Hack-N-Slash Meets Tower Defence In Chillingo’s Vampire Rush And Vampire Rush HD
- BookYap: Good Book Suggestions, But Where’s The Yap?
- Enjoy Kaleidoscopic “I-Spy” With Chillingo’s Play Kalei And Play Kalei HD
- Bovine Fun? Holy Cow! Win Catch Freddy Or Tumbling Freddy With A Comment
- Get AutoTalent With AutoPainter, AutoPainter HD and AutoPainter Express – Giveaway Coming Soon!
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Earth Day Weekend Edition: Green Apps for All Devices
- You Mean You Don’t Know Jack HD?
- If It Walks Like A Lemming and Talks Like a Lemming It Must Be Caveman HD
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzlers For Teens and Everyone Else Part 1
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzler’s For Teens and Everyone Else Part
- Angry Birds Rio and DOODLE JUMP ON iPAD!: Hits with movie-ties in and brand new apps.
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad and iPhone games for kids 5-12 part one (3/19)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best ipad and iPhone Games for kids 5-12 part two (3/20)
- Easter Magic Without The Broken Eggs
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part one (2/5)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part two (2/6)