Enjoy Kaleidoscopic “I-Spy” With Chillingo’s Play Kalei And Play Kalei HD
- By: Chillingo
- Genre: casual game, puzzle game, seek-and-find
- Platform: iPad and iPhone sold separately
- Price: $.1. 99 and $.99
- SAHGeekMom Rating: 4 Stars
- Pump give’s it 4.5 Pump’s Up
- Appropriate for all ages.
Play Kalei, is a seek-and-find game with an innovative twist. Unlike Little Things, Where’s Waldo, I Spy and the myriad other iOS games where you hunt for hidden objects, Play Kalei takes a novel tack.
Kalei is short for Kaleidoscope, and that’s what you are looking for. You seek a spot on a high-resolution photo where the colors and patterns converge to form the same psychedelic picture as the one already encircled in the upper-left corner of the screen.
You slide your finger around the part of the image where the colors seem most apt, then fine tune the image in your circle to match what is shown. When you create an exact duplicate the game will accept it automatically and put up a new one.
You need to match three polychromatic pictures per round, and while time counts towards your score, if you need help, a spotlight will slowly zoom in on the correct spot to guide you.
Timing is important, though. The game is set up like Angry Birds or Cut the Rope in that you have multiple levels in multiple environments.
You can earn up to three stars per level, all speed dependant, and successful completion of one level unlocks the next. As Chillingo knows, this equates to replay value and action on their leaderboards.
Check out the trailer:
Apart from the unusual choice of what to seek, Play Kalei has two features that make the game even more of a standout.
Still have an original iPad? Don’t worry you can import from the photo album too. This not only adds limitless levels, but allows you to customize the game for any one, of any age, and any interest.
There is nothing missing; Play Kalei’s mechanics and GUI are great.
And, the devs earn big kudos: a novel puzzle-game angle is hard to come by.
But while the game is fun, it doesn’t suck you in like some of Chillingo’s most famous addictive titles.
I can’t pinpoint exactly what’s off, maybe it’s just too mellow, but I wasable to put the game down. That’s not a bad thing, per se. A game need not cause sleep deprivation to be original and fun.
But, unless you are dedicated to seek-and-finds, this will engage for many minutes, but not hours on end. But Pump happens to be a serious searcher and he loves it. Of course he didn’t understand my directions, but he spent about 30 seconds frustrated on the first photo and I had to retrieve my iPad by force several hours later.
Notwithstanding, Play Kalei is a clever new take on the traditional “I Spy” genre. If you love seek-and-finds, this is a must have. For puzzle-lovers in general it may not get your pulse racing, but it’s still a good time.
At $1.99 for HD or .99 for iPhone, it’s a steal and definitely worth checking out. Check out the screen shots below, and I’ll be back as soon as I can with more reviews, App Stalking reports, and Weekend Edition Round-Ups.
Until then here are some popular recent reviews for you to chceck out:
- Bovine Fun? Holy Cow! Win Catch Freddy Or Tumbling Freddy With A Comment
- Get AutoTalent With AutoPainter, AutoPainter HD and AutoPainter Express – Giveaway Coming Soon!
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Earth Day Weekend Edition: Green Apps for All Devices
- LinguPingu Makes Learning Language Fun!
- You Mean You Don’t Know Jack HD?
- If It Walks Like A Lemming and Talks Like a Lemming It Must Be Caveman HD
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzlers For Teens and Everyone Else Part 1
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzler’s For Teens and Everyone Else Part 2
- The Monkeys Are Back And This Time They’re Bursting Onto iPad:Bloons TD 4 HD
- Angry Birds Rio and DOODLE JUMP ON iPAD!: Hits with movie-ties in and brand new apps.
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad and iPhone games for kids 5-12 part one (3/19)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best ipad and iPhone Games for kids 5-12 part two (3/20)
- Easter Magic Without The Broken Eggs
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part one (2/5)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part two (2/6)