Get AutoTalent With AutoPainter
- By: Mediachance
- Genre: art app/photo rendering/ creative app
- Platform: HD and iPhone/ iPod Touch. Look for AutoPainter Express for OS X
- Price: $1.99 for iOS $7.99 for OS X
- SAHGeekMom Rating: 4.5 Stars
- Appropriate for all ages.
AutoPainter HD is one of a large number of image-filtering apps that allow you to add effects, in this case painterly ones, to any picture.
What makes AutoPainter a standout, however, is that instead of offering an overabundance of styles rendered with minimal imagination, they offer only four. But each was created with so much attention to detail, the results are nothing short of artworks themselves.
What also sets AutoPainter HD apart is the gorgeous way it shows you the artistic steps in the process of rendering your work. Take a look as I add a Van Gogh effect to a night time photo. The process and video take two minutes:
The included styles are:
- Aquarell: Running colors, water removal, dry scratches: Intended for flowers, landscapes, old buildings or people.
- Benson: Inspired by work of Frank Benson. This style has a sunny palette with Mediterranean tones. It enhances inner light and color harmony and works best on sunny landscapes.
- Cezanne: Inspired by late works of Paul Cezanne. Painted on an artistic paper, the quick brush strokes with warmth and chalk details. Ideal on flowers and still life.
- Van Gogh Inspired by Van Gogh’s “Starry Night”, discover the signature swirls, bended reality and blue tones with orange details. Best for night photography and landscapes especially with water reflections.
If this seems like a sophisticated tool, with too few effects there is a reason. AutoPainter HD (and it’s iPhone and OS X versions) are based a much more robust PC program,Dynamic Auto Painter, that focuses not only on painterly styling’s, but also on portraiture.
The developers are working to ingrate the features from the PC program to the other versions (which are currently all identical except AutoPainter Express on the Mac App Store yields a much higher resolution output image), but they have to deal with the limitations of the iOS device’s processor capabilities.
More is to come, rest assured, but Mediachance would rather release high-quality filters gradually than throw in everything, however pixelated or unrefined, at once. I applaud that approach and look forward to thoughtful updates.
And, all that said, there is a lot you can do with just the four. All it takes is creativity and some multitasking.
But as a talentless hack with creative aspirations, I was inspired to find additional uses for the app.
(If you have a Mac check out my new favorite photo editor Acorn – The Image Editor for Human. It’s a full-featured, but simple, alternative to Photoshop.)
The only thing I would like to see added is social network integration and emailing to show off the end results. In this first release you can save your work to the device’s photo library, but that’s it.
I rendered a Cezanne still life, and “Starry Night” to see how the filters would respond to their inspirations and I was impressed by the results.
Then I got silly. Imagine if Roussaeu and Van Gogh had hung out?
AutoPainter HD is one of the most sophisticated photo-filtering apps I have seen on the App Store. It yields extraordinary “painted” results. The GUI is golden and the process is a pleasure to watch. This is a must have for creative types who wish they could paint like the masters, but need a little help. Get it!
Contest Closed, prizes awarded privately by email. Thanks!
Ok this has been a productive weekend. And the hits I am getting show you are really enjoying the new content so I’ll try to keep it up. Thanks so much for your support. I am frankly in awe of how many new readers and subscribers that have joined us. Thank you.
Here are some popular and/or recent reviews for you to chceck out until next time:
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Easter Edition: App Stalker Report Part 2- Free Games!
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Easter Edition: App Stalker Report – Sale Blowout!
- The Stay at Home GeekMom Special Earth Day Weekend Edition: Green Apps for All Devices
- LinguPingu Makes Learning Language Fun!
- You Mean You Don’t Know Jack HD?
- If It Walks Like A Lemming and Talks Like a Lemming It Must Be Caveman HD
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzlers For Teens and Everyone Else Part 1
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzler’s For Teens and Everyone Else Part 2
- The Monkeys Are Back And This Time They’re Bursting Onto iPad:Bloons TD 4 HD
- Angry Birds Rio and DOODLE JUMP ON iPAD!: Hits with movie-ties in and brand new apps.
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad and iPhone games for kids 5-12 part one (3/19)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best ipad and iPhone Games for kids 5-12 part two (3/20)
- Easter Magic Without The Broken Eggs
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part one (2/5)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part two (2/6)