There are many clones of the game that rocked the early 1990’s. It was one of the original “lead-them-out” puzzle games and you find elements of it in everything from World of Goo to Spirits.
If you never heard of Lemmings, but like this genre of puzzler, it’s time you were introduced. It’s an award-winning puzzler that has been ported to just about every gaming platform, and has had sequels and spin-offs galore. The fervor for this title has never died and the gameplay fits each new technological advancement well.
The object of this game, like the original, is to lead a certain number Lemmin…, er cavemen to the exit.
You have a variety of tools to work with. You can turn cavemen into diggers, climbers, blockers, bashers, whatever it takes to guide the hapless followers to safety.
Check out the iPhone preview trailer from last summer: :
But Sony, wanting to keep the little critters for their own platforms issued a cease and desist order. You can read the details here.
So if Caveman seems authentic that’s because it is; the caveman artwork is just a skin over what the devs had hoped to be a licensed and true-to-the-original Lemming iOS (and webOS) game. Expect PC and Mac ports soon too.
So how did they do with the classic title? Well, I knew it was Lemmings within three seconds, so they are doing something right.
In fact, they are doing a lot right. They have adapted the game very well to the touchscreen and because the webOS version launched first, this release is rather well tested. After playing most of the night, I found no bugs, nor any levels on which my old tricks did not work.
But, the current price is a pre-release price. Note, this is not even version one. For now, not all of the levels are available, and only the easy mode (one of four planned difficulty levels) is up and running.
But that detracts not at all from the nostalgia. Check out the first level in action (Spoiler Alert: the solution to the level is shown:)
On top of the extra levels and modes that are en-route to the App Store, I am hoping to see Game Center and multiplayer options too.
What started as a labor of love and yes, profit, from Mobile 1Up has become something of a crusade. They are putting 120 percent into the game now for many reason, so I’m willing to risk the limitations of the prerelease and suggest you do too. I don’t know what the price point will be, but similar classic hits that port to iOS run from $4.99 to $9.99.
Whether Sony and Mobile 1up will settle so we can see the cute creatures which inspired the original game on iOS or not, remains to be seen.
But, if you loved Lemmings or want a new (or old) challenge I’d suggest you grab this before the full version is released and the price jumps.
I’m glad I didn’t wait, but if you get it, think of it as a beta-plus. And, check out this forum to leave comments, speak to the devs, or find out more about what’s in store.
Even though Mobile1up has some proving to do once the full version hits the App Store, everything is in place so far for Caveman and Caveman_HD to join the ranks of the best classic game ports to iOS for 2011.
Watch for my review, pretty much the same, on appadvice, and enter to win a copy with a comment!
Well that’s two amazing classic gaming apps in a row, but I’ll be back with education, and art, including a big giveaway soon! In the meantime check out my other posts here and on appadvice.com to find the best content for you iDevice.
Check out these contests:
Read and Comment to Win Procrete: Move Over Brushes, Get Creative with Procreate. Win A Copy With A Comment!
Read and Comment to Win Crux: Crux Crosswords HD: A Word Puzzler’s Delight – Win A Copy With A Comment
and please check out:
- Prehistoric Boot Call: Chop Chop Kicker
- Holy Flashback Bat Geek’s Atari’s Greatest hits come to iOS
- Reference Done Right: Modern and Contemporary Art – Oxford Dictionary
- Great Art, Great Concept, Clumsy Execution: Art Expert HD
- Stay At Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzlers For Teens and Everyone Else Part 1
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best Puzzler’s For Teens and Everyone Else Part 2
- The Monkeys Are Back And This Time They’re Bursting Onto iPad:Bloons TD 4 HD
- Things Get Awfully Sticky When Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car!
- My Favorite Art Apps for iPad covered live on AppAdive Daily: Enter to Win! I still have codes!
- Take Time With Your Kids To Smell The Penelope Rose – Win A Copy With A Comment!
- Angry Birds Rio and DOODLE JUMP ON iPAD!: Hits with movie-ties in and brand new apps.
- UPDATED: The Future of Interactive Text and E-Books Rome: A Virtual History ver 1.
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad and iPhone games for kids 5-12 part one (3/19)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best ipad and iPhone Games for kids 5-12 part two (3/20)
- Make Magic With Max and His Magic Marker HD Finally On iOS
- Easter Magic Without The Broken Eggs
- Manage Mommy Madness with MommyCal (iPhone and iPad) – it’s AWESOME!!
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part one (2/5)
- Stay at Home GeekMom Weekend Edition: Best iPad Books for Toddlers through Grade 3 part two (2/6)
Happy App Hunting